Monday, February 7, 2011

the cure for depressing february blues- a walk in pisticci







Today, according to sky news, is cant get out of bed , take a sicky day. This is apparently because its february, the weather is rubbish and its the most depressing time of year.



I woke up this morning and thought I would love a day off . So being offered a coffee in Pisticci before I started work seemed like a great idea.



So we walked from my studio ( did i mention that the sun was shining, the sky was as blue as can be and it was peaceful.)



Round the first corner we met an old friend , lots of shaking of hands and greetings and then another and more greetings, and that wasnt counting saying buon giorno to the lady sitting outside her house enjoying the sun. By the time we reached the piazza I had been stopped and asked for my phone number by someone possibly wanting a painting and on meeting my partner he was about to be bought a coffee by two gentlemen who seemed to know us , so we all went into the bar in the piazza and had a coffee and then left still not quite knowing exactly who they were but it was very pleasant anyways.



Walking down the corsa we were hailed by someone who has a house near us and wants to know if we know anyone who would like to buy it. So we arrange to go take photos on sunday. Then an other gentleman who speaks english stops us and talks for a few minutes about how much he likes going in the country now that he is older and isnt it beautiful.



Back down the hill we stop in the new little fruit shop. The young couple who run it used to sell outside under an umbrella. I had painted a small picture of the piazza with the umbrella in the corner and they bought it. I was really touched to see that they have my painting on the wall in their new shop.



So leaving there ( feeling really special) we headed off up the hill to terravechia, that is the oldest part of Pisticci. The views are gorgeous. Beneath us is dirupo, with all the little white houses , then the valley and then the snow capped mountains.



As we headed past the semi derelict but picturesque palace we met our neighbour from the country and he invited us into his house for coffee. His house looks out on this view and he really appreciates it. We chatted , he speaks english, and laughed and congratulated each other on how lucky we were to live here.



Then we walked down the really steep brick road round the back of dirupo, talking about the house for sale we saw on the way past and arrived back at my studio.



What a lovely way to start my day!



I have always thought that living in pisticci was a potential cure for the blues and not wishing to keep this to myself, if anyone would like to try it I would be more than happy to help them find accommodation or give them more information.



have a good day.






No comments:

Post a Comment