Saturday, April 16, 2011

why buying a bedcover I didnt really need was a good idea


huh, I expect you are thinking if you read this ,just what kind of excuse is she going to come up with for spending money on an enormous brightly coloured velvet traditional bedcover when money is a bit tight to put it mildly.

ahem, would I felt sorry for it work, it was just there beside the wardrobe( that I did need) unwanted and unloved ( it wouldnt be for sale if it was loved would it now!) somebody s treasured cover that was just pining away in a little old damp house. It was a charitable action on my part to take it away and give it a new home.

I should say that when it got delivered along with the wardrobe I did wonder what I was going to do with it. It s big. Its bright. And it smelled pretty damp!

This last ten days I have been living in the studio and doing it up with more and less successful paint effects, quite a lot of fakery and more gloss paint than I really like. Also moved lots of furniture , put doors back on when they fell off and managed to carry a whole armchair out one door and in the other without doing my back in.

So in the midst of this I was rather guiltily wondering what the heck I would do with this bedcover. I tried it as a tablecloth, oh no not good at all, I thought of using it as a bedcover, perhaps not ( I was told it was about 80 years old and am just a bit squeamish.) finally I decided to try and hang it on the wall. I have a cute little wooden ladder which is incredibly useful for all sorts of things, so I carefully stood it up on the bed and even more carefully climbed up it with a hammer, tacks and one end of the cover. It was even bigger than I thought and quite heavy but being intrepid, guilty , stubborn and quite good with a hammer I mangaged to get it hung up relatively straight.

Wow!

It completely changed the look of the room. It inadvertently matched the armchairs( wasnt that lucky) and the rug, but more than that it changed the atmosphere in the room from white and a little cold to warm , rich and interesting and gave me the theme for my whole studio. That is a sort of bohemian artist's fascinating 350 year old village house, studio apartment.

obviously my er psyche knew what it was doing when it let my mouth say "Va bene, prendo questo coperta."

No comments:

Post a Comment