Thursday, February 5, 2015

blogino- fun night in casa elizia with a lot of children...........

And some adults, I should add. .......
I should apologise in advance  for my lack of understanding about everything that went on , but this is what I got out of the evening.
It is always a pleasure to go to casa elizia because its beautiful.
I have been enjoying the last few Thursday evenings learning a little bit about local culture along with a group of children.
Tonight Guiseppe was talking ( this is what I understood!) firstly about the possible costumes  that the children could wear for carnevale and about how they were a bit scary. He talked a lot about brigantes and and a lady brigandessa who looked like you wouldn't want to mess with her. She was armed with a knife, a pistol and a rifle- or it might have been a shotgun. I am fairly sure she was local as I had read somewhere about a female brigand from Pisticci.  There were some actual photographs of some brigands so this was not so long ago......
I nearly forgot though that the first character he talked about was a  "cucchibocca" ( I have spelled this phonetically ) This was a creepy sort of character with glasses and a hat and long hair covering its face. It had a vague resemblance  to some weird hairy musicians whose name I have forgotten- or never knew. I made a quick sketch on the back of a card.
There were several other characters including a nasty looking one with goat's horns who you would not want to meet on a dark night or any other time.
There was also a princess from normandy who looked very pretty and not at all scary. The girls seemed divided between dressing as a princess or a brigandessa.
Having got the costumes decided on , before everyone - but not me- got round to the exciting event of the evening- making a kupa kupe, we  all sang this long traditional song which I understood not a word but it was so infectious it was impossible not to join in. It was brilliant.
Then it was time to make the kupa kupe's and I want to make one some time. The children had brought a variety of containers from paint pots to plastic bottles . To make one of these traditional musical instruments you need a container, some material, a bit of string, and a cane.
The idea , if I understood correctly is to pass on to the children the culture and stories of Pisticci so that they are not lost. I am just  so grateful to Guiseppe for inviting me to join this. It is adding so much to my experience of Pisticci.
And its been so much fun.......
the first kupa kupe is made and played

making traditional instruments

discovered new setting on my camera phone - on my way home

view of the chiesa madre - on way home

cute corner - on way home

home

No comments:

Post a Comment